Join the ladies of Minga for a behind the scenes, all women's creative experience through Ecuador.
February 21-28 | Price: $1750
We’ve only got room for 10 on this trip, so if you’d like to join us fill out our interest-application here.
- 4 nights at the Lago de San Pablo Villa, outside of Otavalo
- 3 nights at the Siempre Verde Forest Reserve, in the Intag Cloudforest
- All Food: Three meals a day
- Make Your Own Hat Workshop (hat included)
- Make Your Own Leather Wallet Workshop (wallet included)
- Natural Dying Workshop
- Daily Yoga & Meditation
- Organic Coffee Farm Visit
- Tree planting activity to off-set our carbon footprint with CanopyCo
- All transportation during the trip
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Donation to our artisan partners
- Trip Insurance
Step into our favorite corner of the world...
Intag Region of Northern Ecuador! This is one of the world’s ten most bio diverse ecosystems. Rich rainforest, fertile farmland and thousands of plants and animals. Mostly farmers, artisans and indigenous communities live in this remote paradise. Days begin with birds chirping, afternoon sun and a thick blanket of clouds that linger along the mountain tops.
We'll also be spending time outside of the indigenous cities, Otavalo, Cotachoci and Lago de San Pablo all nestled between gorgeous mountain views and home to friendly locals.
A lil bit a city, lots of nature.
- Lago de San Pablo Villa (4 nights) -- Close to a local, mountain village and just 15 minutes from the famous Otavalo market town. This space has lush gardens, a gourmet kitchen, and a giant outdoor jacuzzi.
- Siempre Verde (3 nights) -- A nature reserve deep within the Intag Cloudforest that supports tropical conservation education and surrounded by all the local flora and fauna.
It’s all about the process! Meet our makers and learn to create handcrafted goods from the experts themselves.
Make Your Own Wallet - An afternoon visit to our leathersmith’s home studio for a tour, wallet workshop and conversation surrounding the impacts of leather. And of course, an afternoon coffee.
Make Your Own Hat - We’ll stop by our fifth-generation hat partner’s home to understand how hats are made and to make one for ourselves.
Natural Dying - We’ll spend a few hours hanging out and working alongside our artisan partners to create our own batch of natural dyes. BYOT (bring your own t-shirt or fabric!)
Understand Our Process - You might have seen how much work goes into our cactus-made bags; We’ll join our artisan partners on the cactus farm (with beautiful views!) to see how we create cabuya, the cactus fiber we use in our bags.
We’re divin’ in externally and internally
- Daily Yoga, Meditation or Breathwork
- Journaling Workshop
- Waterfall Hike
- Coffee Farm Tour
- Visit to the Famous Otavalo Market
Are you drooling? We’re drooling.
All meals are included! Some of the time we’ll be cooking from home with private chefs and other times we’ll be hitting the town for all of the locals favorite spots. Let us know if you have any dietary restrictions and we can accommodate.
Who are you people?
Emily Rathmanner - Emily spent 4 years solo traveling before she landed in Ecuador, connected with our artisan partners and started Minga. She is our connection to the local communities and street corn hook-ups.
Marlee Newman - For the past 5 years, Marlee has been designing and leading biking and hiking trips for Backroads all over the world. She’s led service trips through East Africa, studied yoga in India and is a part time marketing guru. Her strengths are staying positive when things suck and sniffing out the best bakery in any city. You’ll ecuador her.
- Do I have to be an artist?
- No! To us creativity means thinking outside the box and following your curiosities. Whether this is crafting a delicious meal, provoking vulnerable conversations or painting a masterpiece… you, my friend, are invited.
- Is everything included in the price?
- Yes m’am! Everything except tips, alcohol, trip insurance and your flight out here.
- How many girls will be on the trip?
- We are keeping our group to 10 girls to create a more intimate, small group experience.
- Will I have my own room?
- No. There will only be shared rooms available for this trip, but you will have your own bed. If you sign up with a friend and are open to sharing a bed for a discount, let us know.
- Can I pay incrementally?
- Yes, we are offering a monthly payment plan or you may pay in full.
- Do I need shots?
- When can I sign up by?
- We are on a rolling application basis and accepting applications until Oct 1.
- Do I need travel insurance?
- Yes, we require that you have an international, short-term insurance policy set up for yourself. An affordable option we use is World Nomads.
- Do you offer refunds?
- No, we do not, but you can always put the trip towards your friends stay.